The marbofloxacin ( Marbocyl® ) is an antibiotic prescription for dogs and cats that are commonly used to treat skin infections (pyoderma), respiratory tract and urinary tract infections in dogs and cats.
The drug is available in tablets of different doses (Marbocyl® P 5 mg tablets for dogs and cats, Marbocyl® P 20 mg for dogs, Marbocyl® P 80 mg for dogs) and as an injectable solution (Marbocyl® FD 1% – for dogs and cats) for veterinary use.
Marbocyl® contains the active substance of marbofloxacin, an antibiotic of the active fluoroquinolone group.
Marbocyl® may contain different amounts of marbofloxacin:
- Marbocyl ® P 5 contains 5 mg of marbofloxacin per tablet.
- Marbocyl ® P 20 contains 20 mg of marbofloxacin per tablet.
- And Marbocyl ® P 80 contains 80 mg of marbofloxacin per tablet.
Marbocyl ® for an injectable solution for veterinary use contains 10 mg of marbofloxacin per ml.
Marbofloxacin Use In Dogs
In The Dogs
In the dogs the veterinarian may prescribe Marbocyl® in dogs with skin infections and soft tissues (eg abscesses in dogs, hot spots), respiratory tract (eg pneumonia) and urinary tract (bladder infection) activated by the following agents’ pathogens:
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Enterobacteria (such as Escherichia coli, Citrobacter freundii, Enterobacter cloacae, Preteus sp., Klebsiella sp.)
- Pasteurella multocida
In The Cats
In the cat Marbocyl® is useful for treating the infections of the skin and soft tissues of the respiratory tract of the urinary tract against the following pathogens:
- Pasteurella multocida
- Enterobacteriaceae (Escherichia coli, Enterobacter)
The veterinarian can only administer a Marbocyl® vial once before surgery to prevent an infection. The drug manufacturer recommends using an antibiotic such as Marbocyl® only in case of severe infection.
Method Of Administration
Marbocyl® can be given by injecting it under the skin of the veterinarian or in the form of tablets. The dosage varies according to the basic pathology of the animal and the type of administration.
Generally, a dosage of 2 mg of marbofloxacin per day is recommended per kg body weight of the dog or cat.
Depending on the type of infection, the dosage and duration of treatment may vary. Only the veterinarian can decide, on a case-by-case basis, if the infection is healed and then the drug may be suspended.
Marbocyl® may have side effects, which are:
- Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite
- Thirst and frequent cheating
- Transitional increase in activity
Avoid the use of marbofloxacin- Marbocyl® in the following cases :
- Pregnant or nursing animals
- Developing animals
- In cats with less than 16 weeks of life
- In animals weighing less than 1.25 kg
- If the animal takes other antibiotics of the same class (fluoroquinolones) or is resistant to them
- Severe renal failure